Beet Kvass with citric acid.
Beet Kvass recipe.
Kvass and okroshka are great for summer.
Russians drink kvass is a cold beverage.
Okroshka is Cold Soup, we use kvass preparing it.
Ingredients to make Kvass:
5,5 litres (11 pint) - water
2,5 kg (5 lb) beets, washed, peeled and grated
200 g (8 oz) - rusks
250 grams (10 oz) - sugar
50 grams (2 oz) yeast
5 g (1/4 oz) citric acid
1. Crush the rye rusks or rye bread dried in the oven, put it in big saucepan, add finely grated beets.
2. Pour boiled warm water, mix, cover and leave for 6 - 8 hours in a warm place, stirring from time to time.
3. Strain and discard rusks and beets, add into liquid the sugar, citric acid and yeast, dissolved in a small amount of warm boiled water, mix, cover and leave for several hours.
3. When the kvass begins to foam violently, strain it again. Pour kvass into bottles, cork tightly and keep in the refrigerator..
4. Kvass should be served with ice.
(10-15 grams =1/2 oz; 100 g = 4 oz)
And now you are ready to make cold red soup: holodnik.
Авторские блюда из даров природы