Mint Kvass, Cold beverage.
Recipe. Russians drinks Mint kvass and Nettle beer are cold beverages.
Ingredients to make drink Kvass:
✔ 1 kg (2 lb) old black bread
✔ 25 g (1 oz) fresh yeast
✔ 8 - 10 litres (16 - 18 pint) water
✔ 200 g (8 oz) sugar
✔ 1/4 cup lukewarm water (110 - 115 F)
✔ 50 g (2 oz) crumbled dried mint leaves
✔ 50 g (2 oz) raisins
1. Preheat the oven to 200 F. Place the chopped coarsely bread in the oven for about 1 hour, or until it is thoroughly dry and brown.
2. Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil in an 8-quart casserole and drop in bread.
3. Remove from heat, cover loosely with a kitchen towel, and set it
aside for at least 8 hours.
4. Strain contents of the casserole through a fine sieve set over another large pot or bowl, pressing down hard on the soaked bread with the back of a large spoon before discarding it.
5. Sprinkle the yeast and 1/4 teaspoon of the sugar over the 1/4 cup of lukewarm water and stir to dissolve the yeast completely. Set aside in a warm, draft-free spot (such as an unlighted oven) for about 10 minutes, or until the mixture almost doubles in volume.
6. Stir the yeast mixture, the remaining sugar and the mint into the strained bread water, cover with a towel, and set aside for at least 8 hours.
7. Strain the mixture again through a fine sieve set over a large bowl or casserole, then prepare to bottle it. You will need 2 - 3 quart-sized
bottles, or a gallon jug. Pour the liquid through a funnel 2/3 of the way up the sides of the bottle. Then divide the raisins among the bottles and cover the top of each bottle with plastic wrap, secured with a rubber band.
8. Place in a cool -- but not cold -- spot for 3 - 5 days, or until the raisins
have risen to the top and sediment has sunk to the bottom.
Carefully pour off the clear amber liquid and re-bottle it in the washed bottles. Refrigerate until ready to use. Although Russians drink kvass as a cold beverage, it may also be used as a cold-soup stock in okroshka (chilled vegetable soup with meat) or botvinia (green vegetable soup with fish).
Nettle beer, healthy drink.
Description: There is so much that you can do with Nettles, and this is a great way to get those more reserved family members and friends to sample wild food, pleasant summer beverage.
750 - 800 g nettles tops;
500 g sugar;
4 litres water;
Juice of 2 lemons;
Sterile glass bottles with tops, either screw or cork
1. Collect, wash several times and spin dry nettle tops.
2. Simmer the raw nettles about 20 minutes.
3. You have to sterilize the bucket, the bottles, the funnel– anything that will be touching the brew after it’s been boiled. Add sugar and lemon juice, let the wort cool. Pour into another glass bottle, added the yeast culture. Put the rubber cork and airlock on it. Put bottle to place, where the temperature is warmerand, leave for a week. With all of the overflow, fit the liquid in extra bottle.
About a week, it be ready to decant into bottles. If it be a little sweeter than you want, after siphoning it into bottles, put back over by warm place for three days, allowing the last bit of sugar to be turned into more alcohol and carbonation. 2 weeks after picking the nettles you can drink the Nettle beer.
Сooking and recipes